Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My sister lived with a Czechoslovakian man in the backwoods of Ontario, I loved visiting there, they had no electricity, he trapped for a living and the animals were abundant. Often in the evening after supper Steve would take me for a walk to observe beavers, moose or bears. One evening we were watching bears when one bear charged us , this bear was so large he swallowed Steve whole. I ran for the lodge, screaming for Joan to grab a gun, a bear swallowed Steve I shouted. When we got back to the area, the family of bears were still there. "Which one swallowed Steve?", my sister asked, I pointed to a particular bear and said I thought it was that one, the large male. She raised the rifle ,aimed and shot the female, the others ran off, then she
quickly cut open the bear and and released Steve, he was OK, just needed a bath, he smelled awful. While Steve was bathing in the laundry tub, I asked my sister, " I told you I thought it was the bigger bear that swallowed Steve, but you decided to shoot the female and you turned out to be right, why did you ignore my directions? " Paul, I learned many ,many years ago to never trust a Crawford, especially when they say , the Czech is in the male!"

CC#22 First heard at a Toastmasters Tall Tales contest. Paul(never to be trusted)Crawford.

No comments: