Saturday, May 5, 2007

My neighbour used to keep rabbits in a cage, I owned a black Lab for hunting, I often had the dog in the backyard teaching him to retreive from the lake. If I didn't pay close attention sometimes he would get through the fence into my neighbour's yard. Buck asked me to please keep my dog away from his rabbit cage, it scared them. I promised to do so. One day I forgot and while cutting the grass Shadow came back with a dead rabbit in his mouth. As I took the rabbit from his mouth I noticed the cage door opened. No other rabbits were in the cage and none were in sight. I sat for a long while with Shadow's latest retrieve and wondered what I would tell Buck when he came home. After a coffee , I had a devious idea. I took the rabbit in the basement, washed it up in the laundry tub, dried it with the wife's hairdryer, fluffed it up and put it back in the cage and hooked the latch . When Buck came home, I was raking the grass clippings and saw him at the cage shaking his head. "How ya doing," I said , "Good!" Buck said.
"How's your rabbits?", I asked. "Boy, I don't understand this!" was his reply. "Don't understand what?" I enquired. " Well, before I left for work this morning, I noticed my last rabbit was dead in his cage, so I buried him over there by the shed, and now he's back in the cage with the door latched."

CC#3 - Paul Crawford

No comments: